Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver

What is the GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver?

The GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver is a form you can complete in order to be charged in-state tuition.  There has been a revision to Public Law 113-146 Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014. Section 702 has been added and is effective July 1, 2015. The law states that Veterans who have been “discharged or released from a period of not fewer than 90 days of service in the active military, naval, or air service less than three years before the date of enrollment in the course concerned” must be given in-state tuition. The law also translates to a spouse or child using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) transfer of benefits or Fry Scholarship.

Am I eligible for the GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver?

To be eligible for the waiver you must be using Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), or Fry Scholarship of the GI Bill. If you are a transfer of benefits (Post 9/11 GI Bill), the military member must be active duty OR discharged within the last three years. Be aware that if you run out of GI Bill benefits, or decide not to use them for a particular semester, you will not be eligible and the non-resident fees will be reapplied to your financial account.  As the law states, you must be using your GI Bill benefits consecutively, without any breaks in schooling, in order to be charged in-state tuition. Unlike the GEM or WUE, establishing Idaho residency can be done while using the GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver.   If you are being charged non-resident fees and do not meet the above requirements, please contact us to discuss other options available to you.

What do I have to do to receive the GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver?

If you meet the requirements, fill out the application. The waiver is valid for one semester, so you’ll need to reapply every semester to continue receiving and applied prior to the 10th day of classes. While using your GI Bill benefits, you will not need the Yellow Ribbon Program or any other non-resident scholarships (GEM or WUE).  If you qualify for the GEM or the WUE as well as the GI Bill Non-Resident waiver you can defer them for up to 2 years by contacting Financial Aid.  Contact us for details regarding your GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver eligibility, 208-426-3744.