Skip to Main Content

Chapter 1606 National Guard or Reserve

Basic Eligibility:

  • Member must be in drill status to use benefits.
  • Member must have a signed six-year contract after July 1, 1985.
  • Member must have completed 180 days of duty in the selected reserve or guard.
  • Member must have a GED or High School diploma.

To Enroll:

The member will complete and return the following paperwork to the Boise State Veterans Service Office, (VSO):

    • Application for Educational Benefits VA Form 22-1990.
    • Copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)–obtained from member’s unit.
    • Copy of Reserves/Guard Kicker paperwork, if applicable.
    • Copy of VA Form 22-0557 Certificate of Eligibility (Member will receive this within 7-10 weeks of application).
    • Each semester the member wishes to use their benefits, a declaration will be filled out and submitted.
    • After receiving the Certificate of Eligibility the member must provide a copy to the VSO. A copy of the Award Letter that is received each semester must be brought to the VSO.
      • Remember!! After receiving your VA Form 20-8992 Award Letter, you must call or go online and verify on the last day of every month or the first week of the following month.


      • All changes to the member’s schedule prior to the first day of classes (adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) require the member to submit a new declaration to the VSO Office.
      • Any changes to major, minor and/or school require the member to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the Boise State VSO.
      • Any changes in contact information:
        –Update Boise State: Follow instructions on MY.BOISESTATE
        –Notify Boise State VSO
        –Notify VA (888) 442-4551
        –Update direct deposit at (888) 442-4551


    • Complete and return VA Form 22-1990t to the Boise State VSO.
    • The member must be attending at least 1/2 time.
    • Contact tutor, negotiate wages, and payment of tutor is the Veteran’s responsibility.
    • The member is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester (up to $1200 total for entirety of GI Bill), for tutor reimbursement expenses.