Skip to Main Content

Benefits & Renewal

Boise State Veterans Student Benefits and Renewals – Blue background with orange graduation cap
All Veterans are separated into different categories (chapters) that define the class of benefits received. To identify the eligibility requirements and benefits, click the black tab below for your chapter.

G.I. Benefits by Chapter

  • Prior/current active duty Veterans (Montgomery GI Bill)

    Basic Eligibility:

    • Must have served in the armed forces after July 1, 1985 for two or three years of continuous service.
    • Must have contributed to the educational fund for 12 months ($100 per month).
    • You received an honorable discharge.


    Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill MORE than 3 years)

    Full Time3/4 Time1/2 Time Less than 1/2 Time; More than 1/4 Time1/4 Time or Less
    **Tuition and Fees ONLY, Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.

    Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill LESS than 3 years)

    Full Time3/4 Time1/2 Time Less than 1/2 Time; More than 1/4 Time1/4 Time or Less
    **Tuition and Fees ONLY, Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.

  • Service-connected disabled Veteran with a VA rated disability status of 20% or more

    Basic Eligibility:

    • Must have a 20% (or greater) service-connected disability.
    • Vocational rehabilitation is required for employment as a result of the disability,
    • To verify eligibility contact the Boise Regional office at (208) 429-2228.
    • Complete VA Form 28-1900.
    • For more information, contact the Vocational Rehabilitation program at (800) 827-1000.

    Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disabled Veteran)

    Full3/4 Time1/2 Time
    No Dependents$594.47$446.67$298.88
    One Dependent$737.39$553.85$370.30
    Two Dependents$868.96$649.68$435.27
    Each Additional$63.34$48.71$32.50

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill

    You need to be a full-time student for that session (see academic calendar) to receive the full amount of your BAH. See the semester equivalency table. Your rate of pursuit must be at least 51% (7 credits for regular semester) to receive 1/2 of the normal BAH rate.

    For other questions, see our FAQ page to the left.

    • Must have served in the armed forces after September 11, 2001 with at least 90 days of aggregate service, or a service-connected disability after 30 days.
    • Veteran received an honorable discharge.

    Chapter 33 (Post 9/11)

    Full Time3/4 Time1/2 Time (7 credits)Less than 1/2 Time
    $963.00$722.25$481.50Tuition and Fees Only

  • Dependents, Widows, and Widowers

    Basic Eligibility for spouse or child(ren) of a Veteran who:

    • Died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
    • Died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
    • Is missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
    • Is forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
    • Is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. Effective December 23, 2006.

    Chapter 35 (Dependents, Widows, and Widowers)

    Full Time3/4 Time1/2 TimeLess than 1/2 Time; More than 1/4 Time1/4 Time or Less
    **Tuition and Fees ONLY, Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.

  • National Guard or Reserve (Montgomery GI Bill)

    Basic Eligibility:

    • Must be in drill status to use benefits.
    • Must have a signed six-year contract after July 1, 1985.
    • Must have completed 180 days of duty in the selected reserve or guard.
    • Must have a GED or high school diploma.


    Chapter 1606 (National Guard or Reserves)

    Full Time3/4 Time1/2 TimeLess than 1/2 Time
    **Tuition and Fees ONLY, Payment cannot exceed listed amount.

Benefit Renewals


If you are new to Boise State, contact our office before you submit a declaration.

Submit your declaration before each semester to utilize your benefits using the button below. Make sure you have provided us with the most recent award letter you receive in the mail. If you cannot find your most recent award letter, print another copy here from E-Benefits. If you have not received a reply email from within two hours of submitting this form, please try again.

Submit Declaration Every Semester


After completing the declaration form, we will send the enrollment certification to the appropriate VA Regional Processing Office. If you have basic eligibility for benefits, and your program or course is approved, VA will process your enrollment based the dates and number of hours we submit for you.

If you are using Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, you need to verify your attendance each month to receive payment. Verify your attendance on the last calendar day of the month using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. You can sign up to receive reminders, by texting @verify to 81010.

Verify W.A.V.E. Ch 30, 1606, & 1607 every month


If you are active duty and want to transfer your benefits to your dependents please read the updated information and follow the instructions.

Post 9/11 Transfer of Benefits


The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the law that created the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Yellow Ribbon Program is available for Institutions of Higher Learning (degree granting institutions) in the U.S. or at a branch of such institution located outside the U.S. The program allows approved institutions of higher learning and the VA to partially or fully fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the established thresholds under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You must have a 100% rating of your benefits. Please contact our office to see if you qualify.

Yellow Ribbon Program, Veterans at 100% benefit level


Use the GI Bill Non-Resident Waiver form to apply for in-state tuition. To be eligible for the waiver you must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Using Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), AND must have been discharged from the military within the last three years OR still active duty military.
  2. Using the Fry Scholarship, you must be the child of a person who, on or after September 11, 2011, dies in the line of duty while serving on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces.
  3. Using a transfer of benefits (Post 9/11 GI Bill), the military member must be active duty OR discharged within the last three years.

If you run out of GI Bill benefits or decide not to use your GI Bill consecutively (excluding summer), you will no longer be eligible and non-resident fees will be reapplied to your financial account.

nonresident GI Bill image button