Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Where Do I Start?

1. Apply for admission to Boise State University.

Credits earned at another institution of higher learning may apply toward your degree at Boise State. The Registrar’s Office evaluates your transcript to determine if the courses you have taken elsewhere are equivalent to the courses offered at Boise State. If a course you have taken is equivalent, you can count toward graduation the credits earned in that course, just as if you had earned those credits at Boise State. If the course is not equivalent, those credits count as general elective credits. The transferring of credits is completed only for students seeking their first baccalaureate degree. More Information can be found here:

You may receive credit for selected military training or experience. Military credits will be used as electives only. Military credits will be processed by the Registrar’s office and posted after the first six weeks of your first active semester.

Order your military transcripts here:
Air Force       Army       Marines     Navy      Coast Guard

2. Apply for GI Bill benefits once you are admitted to Boise State.

There are many chapters of the GI Bill and you may qualify for more than one. You can see a brief description of them on our benefits page. If you are eligible for multiple GI Bills, contact our office before completing this step and we can help you understand the benefits of each one.

Once you have submitted the application, make sure it has a confirmation number. If there is no confirmation number, you have not submitted it to the VA yet. Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA in the mail in about 7-10 weeks. Our office will need this correspondence.

Under many circumstances, the Montgomery GI Bill may be more beneficial to you than the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If you switch to the Post 9/11, you can not go back to the Montgomery GI Bill. The effective date for your Post 9/11 is also very important, so please come in for help when filling out your GI Bill application.



All Veterans with a 20% or higher service-connected disability rating are encouraged to apply for VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits. VR&E benefits can often provide benefits beyond what the GI Bill provides. Typical benefits for a student attending a college or university include: tuition, fees, books, parking permit, supplies, computer, medical, dental, job placement, and other benefits that help the student veteran transition to a suitable civilian career.

To apply for VR&E benefits follow the instructions on the link below: VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment

Further questions can be directed to Sean Burlile in Veteran Services.

Sean Burlile, Ph.D.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

3. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).

We strongly recommend that you apply for federal financial aid. Receiving GI Bill benefits does not affect your ability to be considered for grants, work study, and student loans.


4. Apply for Scholarships.

APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS! Yes, student Veterans are eligible for scholarships!